The property which is currently the site of the Frank C. Videon Funeral Home was an original land grant of 400 acres from William Penn in 1684. In 1785, 100 acres was conveyed to the Lawrence family and passed through several members either by WIll or sheriff sale until 1860. From that date, the property changed hands several times by way of gambling and several more sheriff sales until 40 acres was purchased at auction by Mr. and MRs. Donald Gibson in 1955. The 2.2 acres purchased by the Gibson's was restored and remodeled into a family home and the Gibson Funeral Home.
After 27 years of operating his funeral business on this site, Donald Gibson sold the property to Frank and Edna Videon in 1982. They have redecorated the home making it a funeral home with a light, cheerful, home-like atmosphere. In 1996, the Videons acquired an adjacent property consisting of 4.3 acres which has been constructed into a public parking area for viewings and funeral services.
The building itself, as it stands now, is a result of threee major building operations. The original house dates back to 1731 and comprises the basement and the main double room on the first floor and rooms on the second floor. In 1802, the main center hall and the reception room were added by Joshua Lawrence. The rear addition was added in the early 1900's and differs from the rest of the building in that it is a frame and stucco construction while the remainder of the masonary w alls vary from 18 to 24 inches thick.The building contains six non-working firepalces, one in the basement, three on the first floor and two on the second floor. For a period of time, these fireplaces were the only means of heating the house. The second floor includes a living room, dining room, kitchen, bedroom, two offices, a hallway, and two bathrooms. The third floor is one large room for storage.
The property also includes the remains of a springhouse which is believed at one time to be used in conjunction with the cooking and smoking of food for the main house. A stone barn stood a short distance away from the main building that was later renovated into a three car garage. In 1983, the Videon's converted the garage into a two story cottage-type building to facilitate the funeral business.
In the late 1980's, as the funeral business increased, a 30-by-40 foot addition was built on the first floor. This structure is made of stone which matches the original exterior of the home. The inside compliments the original home with deep windowsills, high baseboards, and an original looking firepalce. With the remodeling and additions being kept in the 18th century period, modern conveniences such as airconditioning and lighting, as well as safety features, permit modern usage.
While the Gibson's maintained the second floor of the building for their residence, the Videons lived in their home in Newtown Square. The living area remains on the second floor with a bedroonm, living room, kitchen, dining room, and two bathrooms. Two rooms were converted into offices for the funeral home staff.
The funeral business has been owned and operated since 2000 by Frank and Edna's son, David T. Videon who, with his wife, Lynn, acquired the property in 2013. They continue to operate both the business and the property in the tradition established by Frank and Edna Videon.